Admiral Windwagon Smith XLII
Wichita native Mike Greene, who retired from the City of Wichita Public Works Engineering division in 2010, has been a dedicated supporter of Riverfest and its parent organization, Wichita Festivals, Inc., for 16 years.
As Admiral Windwagon Smith, Greene will serve as the official ambassador of Riverfest 2015 by visiting children in local hospitals, speaking on behalf of Riverfest at Wichita civic organizations and helping host dozens of events throughout the nine days of Riverfest, May 29-June 6, 2015.
“Mike makes a perfect ambassador for this great event,” said Mary Beth Jarvis, president and CEO of WFI. “He has dedicated tremendous energy to Riverfest, and his love for the festival shines through everything he’s done as a partner and a volunteer for so many years.”
"I am looking forward to my role as this year's Admiral,” said Greene. “To be the face and ambassador for this Festival is a dream come true. I am honored to serve in this capacity as it will allow me to give back to this community which has blessed me with so much."
Greene has served Riverfest in a number of capacities, including as General Chair for Wichita River Festival in 2004 and 2012, and Chair of the WFI Board of Directors in 2006-07. Festival Volunteer of the Year in 2004, he has been an active member of the Operations Committee since 1999.
The festival’s 42nd Admiral Windwagon Smith, Greene has been a member of the Wichita Wagonmasters since 2007 and has an impressive volunteer history with a number of Wichita community organizations, including Wichita Federal Credit Union, Wichita State University's Shocker Bowling Teams, Prairie Fire Marathon Organizing Committee and City Council District V Advisory Board. He has donated more than 13 gallons of blood to the Red Cross, one pint at a time.
Winner of the 2005 Excellence in Public Service Award, Greene also was presented with the Great Plains United States Bowling Congress President’s Award in 2008.
The admiral has been married to Marie Greene since 1981. The father of two sons, Shane and Chris, they have one granddaughter, Linnea. Shane and his wife, Ashleigh, are expecting a second child in June.
Admiral XLII Mike Greene “At a Glance”
* Born December 15, 1954 to Malcolm and Joyce Greene
* Raised in Wichita and graduated from Wichita High School North in 1972
* Attended Wichita State University
* Married to his wife, Marie, for 33 years
* Has two sons, Chris and Shane; a daughter-in-law, Ashleigh; and a granddaughter Linnea
* Retired July 16, 2010 after 35 years at the City of Wichita Public Works Engineering department
* Wichita Wagonmaster since 2007
* Holds a State of Kansas pyrotechnics license for fireworks
* Is a die-hard Kansas City Chiefs and Shocker basketball fan
* Is known as Papa Greene to the students of the Shocker Bowling program
* Enjoys riding his Harley Davidson Heritage Softtail Classic