ATTENTION LIFEGUARDS AND OTHERS WITH WATER SAFETY AND RESCUE SKILLS!
Apply today to be a member of the Riverfest 2015 Water Safety Squad!
Fill out and submit this application by 5 p.m., Jan. 30, 2015
Purpose: To plan, promote and implement water safety activities for Riverfest 2015.
The Water Safety Squad: A volunteer membership of dedicated and trained individuals that will be solely responsible for the operation of all rescue boats and water safety equipment owned or operated by Wichita Festivals, Inc.
• Organize and provide water safety of all water activities during Riverfest, including but not limited to paddleboats, canoes, kayaks and other activities such as Cardboard Regatta, Starlight Flotilla and Pallet Parade.
• Staying in close proximity and staying alert while maintaining constant visual contact with all boaters or water activity participants during Riverfest.
• Conduct emergency rescues when needed during Riverfest or any other WFI water-based activities.
• Coordinate all rescue efforts and maintain constant contact between member on shoreline and those in rescue boats.
• A Water Safety Squad Captain will be appointed each year by WFI’s VP of Program Development.
• The Captain will be responsible for leading the squad during each WFI event. Captain’s duties will include organizing training sessions, event scheduling and squad member recruitment. The Captain will also be the main point of contact with WFI and will work directly with the VP of Program Development and Volunteer Manager.
• Water Safety Squad will be limited to no more than 40 volunteers.
• All squad members must be 15 or older. Those ages 15-17 will require a parental consent form on file at WFI offices.
• All squad members must wear the designated uniform provided by WFI.
• All squad members must adhere to the WFI standards of conduct for volunteers.
• All squad members will receive training in first aid and CPR (2 year certification) and will be provided training from the Wichita Fire Dept. in water rescue techniques.
• All squad members will receive training in driving water rescue boats.
• All squad members will be will be eligible for all benefits and privileges extended to volunteers for the Wichita Riverfest and Wichita Festivals, Inc.
• All applicants are asked to complete and return an application no later than Saturday, Jan. 30, 2015.
• All qualified applicants will be interviewed by a team comprised of current Ops committee members, WFI staff and current Water Safety volunteers. Interviews will be conducted Feb. 2-13, 2015.
• Final selection of squad members will take place and will be notified no later than February 16, 2015. Training will begin shortly thereafter.